It is certain that when we ‘dress to impress’ we are willing to jump right through to extreme fabulous and very polished! Since only very little thought is needed to slip on this beautiful garment and zip it up and were there, it has become a summer companion to adore.. Although some people find dresses boring and infertile, serious fashion shows have proven these people wrong. Even a highly adorned dress can work for daytime if paired with the right leather belt and very toned down, unembellished platforms and the dullest dresses can be teamed up with a statement clutch and a daring slingback and you’re ready for a night time of fun. All you need is a little thought and a lot of playing around…
1. Sheath dresses are very similar to Shift dresses; both have the added advantage of figure hugging. The secret behind their perfection is that they fit closely to the body to show off your great figure. If you have a figure to be proud of, slip into one of these dresses and you will never be sorry. Since most of these dresses are strapless with a knee-length hemline, your ‘skin tone-dress color’ equation has to be taken in consideration when wearing such dresses. Try to keep everything else simple, including heels and accessories, basically to let your figure be the sexiest visible thing. To transform a simple sheath to a formal sheath just add a short-sleeved shirt with bow detailing beneath and some formal accessories and voila, you’re off to work. If you suffer from a case of long legs and short waist you will love a straight sheath, since anything that obscures the natural waistline is the perfect thing to mask the ‘real’ start of your waist.
2. Simple Empire dresses always seem like our last choice when were deciding on a dress. The key to a great look in an empire dress is to transform it into a standout by pairing it with a killer platform heel in the same color and a vivacious clutch. If you have a small bust then it is an empire dress you require. The shirring and ruching over the bust will create the fullness that you have long dreamt of. Empire dresses create the illusion of a bigger bustline since they have very defined and/or belted waist shapes, again creating the fullness.
3. A-Line dresses are probably the finest and most adored, however, if teamed poorly, the results can be catastrophic A-Line dresses can be toned up or down depending on the occasion you wear it to. If you’re wearing the dress to a morning breakfast with the girls, keep it simple and toned down. Pair the dress with a pair of ballet flats and a cute shoulder bag. If the dress is plain, have a shoulder bag with some exotic prints or neon color. If the dress is floral or patterned, a neutral shoulder bag is preferred. If it’s an afternoon lunch with a colleague you might want to upgrade the dress with the use of a patent leather tote with matching, sassy satin, round or pointy toe shoes. If it’s summertime and you want to show off your fresh pedicure then slip on a naughty strappy sandals or peep-toe. If it’s disco night then it’s a black A-Line and a pair of glittering platforms. You might want to consider the accessories too. Leave the neck plain and concentrate on the ears. Chandelier or drop earrings in matching tones with your footwear is always the best way to go. A-Line dresses are mere godsends for women with tummies, since the dress does not accent the waistline. Their neck details direct the eye upward and away which means you have absolutely no problem if you have a long waist and short legs.
4. No matter which type exists in our wardrobes; full, fitted, long or short, Strapless dresses all share the common feature of a bare, no strap top, which basically means more room for a showy necklace and less emphasis on the ears. Pair it with a small-to medium-size clutch and a pair of neutral loafers and head to absolutely anywhere from morning to dawn. After dawn, slip into a metallic stiletto and a piece of vintage neck piece and a more evening clutch; satin, beaded or crafted in rich material. The trick with pulling off the perfect strapless look is to wear the perfect bra, never let the bust area loose or appear loose. So if you don’t have what it takes, just act like you do with a padded strapless bra underneath.
5. Wrap dresses are another great Japanese tradition that basically conquered the fashion world. Wrap dresses can be tricky in terms of pairing them up with the perfect figure. If you have a curvy or full bust shape then look for wrap dresses since the way it crisscrosses the front of the body and ties at the waist makes it compliment this body structure. If you’re short, wrap dresses work best in accentuating your petite figure without overwhelming it. Footwear creations that go well with this dress are wedges, pumps and espadrilles. It’s your choice. A cute satchel or a shoulder bag in exotic alligator or python skin work wonders with wrap dresses so carry one in a complimenting shade and pattern.
6. Shirt dresses are inspired by the silhouette of a man’s button-front shirt so you can easily collar it. An extensive ruffle shirt can be worn beneath it so that the ruffles would be visible, transforming this dress into an afternoon dress. To add life to a dull dress, pair it with a floral top beneath and a narrow leather belt and a cute pair of D’Orsays. For a day when you feel like you can’t care less, just slip on a shirt dress and pair it with a standout shoulder bag and a pair of strappy sandals. If you are bored with your boyish figure, then the answer is a shirtdress. Their belted style (similar to wrap dresses) certainly helps adding more curves not to mention their magical effects due to their bias cuts, draping and ruching.
7. Asymmetrical dresses are the sexiest known dress to womankind. Whether it has a one-shoulder neckline or an uneven hem that dips to one side, an asymmetrical dress can be romantic or edgy, again depends on you. For a romantic moment, slip into a plain, draped one, preferably in a nude shade and tone it up with a flowery elastic band and some cute strappy sandals and a contrasting vintage-style clutch. In case you need to show your edgy side, wear your dress with a daring peep toe or T-Straps and a huge silvery Hobo.