Hippocrates said it best, “All disease begins in the gut.”
So, if this is true and disease begins in the gut, aka your digestive system, then having a healthy and strong digestion is key. But let me share one secret with you: when the body is toxic, your digestive system is weak. So even if you eat “clean” and only buy organic and hormone-free foods, you are still breathing toxicity in this world.
We live, eat and breathe toxins every day. Look around your home and think of all the paints on the walls, the rugs, the pesticides sprayed on your green grass, and the exterminator to get rid of the bugs! Even if your home is chemical-free, most probably your makeup is not!
Unless you’re ready to live in a bubble or a hyperbaric chamber, it is time to wake up to what I call the “daily detox”. Detox is not a curse word or anything to be scared of; instead, it is exciting to think about your body and cells actually functioning. I tell people detox isn’t all about living on juices, water, smoothies, or just salad or soup.
It’s about lessening the toxic load in your body. Or as I say it, “Taking out the trash.”
When we are toxic, our body cannot properly perform. It cannot fittingly absorb nutrients and minerals, metabolize, detox or stay hydrated. It’s sort of a vicious cycle. Detox is necessary to be healthy, happy, and free of disease.
We all have some low level inflammation because, again, we breathe, even more, we stress in this busy world. Every time we stress, we create acid in our body; and our body is forced to pull minerals to buffer the acid waste. Liver, lymph and kidneys all begin to work hard to filter out that toxic load.
So what happens when the body is tired and clogged?
When your digestive system is not working and cannot break down these foods, it cannot focus on getting RID of TOXINS! That means you cannot get rid of bloat and fat and skin breakouts, and all that stuff that keep you tired.
TOXINS = INFLAMMATION = WEAK DIGESTION
- Difficult weight management
- Low energy
- Low sex drive
- Bad skin
By detoxing, YOU will improve digestion and therefore free your body of inflammation and toxins.
The foundation of detox is NOT to ever feel deprived or starved. The goal is to help YOU learn how to EAT CLEAN and learn what foods are IRRITATING your body.
Eating clean is a way of life, not a diet!
So, we begin to eat whole foods that promote detox in a safe and natural way. No, you do not have to only drink juices, or soups, or smoothies, or go on a grapefruit diet; you just need to eat foods that don’t irritate your digestive system or clog it up.
So here are the top tips for staying healthy & detoxing naturally:
- Upon waking, drink warm or room water with lemon and 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar (if tolerated) and add a dash of cinnamon or cayenne.
- Start your day by being positive. Find a daily affirmation that gets you fired up. I love Louise Hay, Geneen Roth, Gabrielle Bernstein and Marianne Williamson.
- Try getting quiet within yourself, even just for one minute. Say it. “I release what does not serve me.” Hold your heart as you say it out loud. Scream it if you want to. Own that power!
- Drink fresh, green juices or make your own green juice with 1 tbsp chlorophyll, lemon, lime and water.
- Aim for one meal (per day) that is super easy on your digestive system. Try smoothie, green juice, or soup to give your digestion a rest.
- Get moving and shaking. Yes, exercise is one of the best ways to detox your body.
- Drink plenty of water and add lemon, lime or grapefruit to flush the toxicity.
- Skin brushing is my favorite way to support the liver and get rid of the toxins.
- Brush your tongue.
- And last but not least, BE HAPPY and grateful for life.